WordPress & The Fashion Industry
People often make the mistake of classifying WordPress as just a blogging platform. Although that used to be true in the past, WordPress has evolved throughout the years into a versatile content management system (CMS). While you can still use WordPress to create a simple blog, now it also allows you to create fully functional websites and mobile applications.
The best part about WordPress is that it’s easy to use and flexible enough for just about anything. That’s the main reason why WordPress has grown so much in popularity. WordPress and CMS platforms have changed the world of Fashion. It has taken the place of the old Flash sites and static HTML to bring together interactivity and easy of use for the Fashion Industry. Some time ago WordPress was associated with just blogs. Today it has boomed into a strong tool for just about any type of website.
Flash sites were the norm and the #1 choice when it came to fashion designer’s choice. This was due largely in part to the animated graphics which Flash has been largely identified with. One of the main problems that it had was ease of use/editing and SEO. Flash made it difficult for users to show up in search engines like Google, Yahoo or Bing.
Advantages of WordPress vs Flash Websites
- Save Money– You can make most changes to your site or even have your own staff add new pages for you. You can make the edits yourself whenever you want to save time and money especially if these changes are urgent and do not have time to wait on emails.
- Greater Accessibility– Make changes or add content from any computer in the world with Internet access and a browser without the need for additional software.
- Speed of Communication– At least for simple changes, you don’t need to wait for your webmaster or designer to make those basic changes, the content on your Web site can be altered immediately by you.
- Consistency – By following a basic structure or design, no matter how many pages you add the site can keep a consistent look and feel.
- Better Time Management– Add content and then schedule those pages/posts. You could write an entire season worth of posts on the site and automatically have them scheduled for a specific day or time.
- Ease of Membership Site Rollout– With the addition of a few plugins, a WordPress blog can evolve into a full-service membership site with as many levels as you would like.
- Social Network Friendly– Integrate your sites posts with social media like Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube.
- Engage with Current Media– Easily add audio and video to posts and pages.
- Creative Welcoming– Integrate new designs faster in comparison to other CMS (Content Management System).
- SEO Friendliness– The construction of WordPress is streamlined without excessive HTML code that Google finds very attractive for indexing. With the right setup, you’re able to customize every page or post you make to give you the highest advantage of getting your pages in search results positions.
Another reason that WordPress is great for the Fashion industry is that it is written using standard compliance high-quality code and produces semantic mark up. What does that mean? It makes your site very attractive to search engines such as Google. By design, WordPress is SEO friendly, and you can make it even more SEO friendly by using additional WordPress SEO plugins.
The Fashion industry is a fast-paced and media heavy industry. It needs to be on the cutting edge and have the latest and the greatest as fast as possible. WordPress is not just limited to writing text only. It comes with built-in support to handle images, audio, and video content. It can also easily be used for document or file management. WordPress supports embed YouTube videos, Instagram photos, Tweets, and Soundcloud audio by just pasting the URL in your post. This helps manage the amount of media that the Fashion industry is accustomed to.